RE: Podor 800 (was Re: Telemudo and Ch. 60)

Roger writes:

> After listening to afternoon drive on
> Podor 800 (Lawrence, MA), I noticed some
> unusual things:

Wow, slow news day? <g>

> 1.  Intro and outro are live Spanish, but the traffic
> report itself is strictly English.  Does this presume
> the listeners understand English far better than when
> they demand Bi-Lingual education?  Or, am I to believe
> that the local Anglo population tunes to Podor 800 just
> for traffic reports?

The universal translator was acting-up.  The problem was with your set.
Babelfish.com may be of help to you.

> 2.  Many spots for local businesses feature Spanish
> speaking announcers with English Language Jingles
> & Music Beds.

Sounds like a shortage of Spanish singers.  Now, there's an opportunity.
Where's my Berlitz....

> 3.  Between songs, the DJ runs a loop consisting of
> party noises, people talking & yelling & singing,
> noise makers (gongs, ratchets, etc.) and a loud BOOM
> noise every 4 - 5 seconds - sounds like a small
> explosion.

That was Igo's hidden microphone during one of his backyard shindigs.  Not
pretty, but efficient.

Is this common on Hispanic Stations?
> I know that a Rap station in Bakersfield, CA used to
> run a constant Rap Rhythm track under the DJ during
> the break - OBnoxious.

Not only is it common, it's as necessary as high-gloss belts and matching shoes.

> 4.  The Station ID is done in English by a woman
> with no noticeable Hispanic accent.  Is this required?

Only in New Jersey.

Bill O'Neill