RE: RDS car radio

At 02:22 PM 4/3/2003 -0500, Sven Franklyn Weil wrote:
>On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Aaron Read wrote:
>
> > RDS technology as it exists today will die with IBOC.   IBOC transmitters
> > cannot have subcarriers; they replace them with the data service
>
>I thought IBOC was compatible with existing FM subcarriers, especially 67
>and 92 (which are used by additional radio stations).
>--
>Sven

Ah - thanks Sven...you pointed out the missing part of my post: I meant to
say that ALL-DIGITAL iboc transmissions cannot have
subcarriers.  Subcarriers are an analog phenomena, so at some point down
the road (10+ years I'd imagine) when the analog carriers are shut off the
subcarriers will be, too.

Of course, by that point subcarriers will be all but replaced by the
conventional data services aspect of IBOC anyway.

FWIW - there was some question as to whether IBOC's digital subcarriers
above 130kHz will interfere with the 92kHz subcarriers, but I don't know if
that's been proven right or wrong yet.  My guess is that it has and it's
not a problem, else we'd probably have heard more outcry about it.