Re: war coverage pre-empting Bruins

Dan Strassberg writes:
> We gotta find out from Bob Bittner whether he'd take pre-empted Bruins
games on
> WJIB. 500,000 microwatts instead of 50,000 watts--but it would save
Infinity
> from having to deal with another group owner ;>) OK, Bob IS a group
owner--I
> wasn't thinking of WJTO. If the B's were worried about loss of coverage
and
> were willing to rent a phone line to Maine, Bob could add WJTO to the
special
> network for the pre-empted games (or maybe he could pick up WZON off the
air).

Good luck getting the station past Fresh Pond rotary!

OK, I'm being rather unfair to Bob (and giving him a hard time, as I've done
a bunch in the past :-). In the past when I bought night air time on 740 for
sports broadcasts, I found the signal was servicable for the most part
inside Boston, Cambridge and Somerville. I could always pick it up in South
Boston, even though I lived in a building not too conducive for AM DX. You
could probably add Arlington and Belmont to that list, too. You would NOT be
able to hear the game in the Fleet, though. (I'm one of the many who likes
to have the luxury of listening to the game when I'm there, just to get a
different perspective.)

Now, if you linked up WESX, WJDA and WJIB, you'd have a group of stations
that served Boston rather well. (In the past, WESX and WJDA have aired
Bruins' games on Election Night.)