Re: WWRX 103.7 "severed" from the FNX Radio Network

At 02:44 PM 3/21/2003 -0500, Nostatic wrote:
>At this point, the Providence signal is outperforming the rest of the
>network.  The Boston signal needs to make this format adjustment to be
>competitive, but Providence is doing just fine with the active rock
>leaning sound.  That's why the stations are separating their programming
>outside of morning drive.  Considering that WWRX normally has around a two
>share in Providence, and Minditch paid only 10 million for it, I'm sure
>he's making plenty of money and doesn't want to change anything.  I doubt
>that he will sell these stations, at least as long as he owns the Phoenix
>newspapers.

Over the years I've heard rumors and vague references that WFNX used to be
in "competition" of sorts with WZBC, back in the late 1980's and early
1990's...when WFNX was more about breaking artists and WZBC was more about
rock (these days they're more into experimental music of a rock
leaning...NCP has kinda taken over the whole schedule :-)

Assuming the rumors have some truth behind them, I wonder if we'll see
another run with the two going at it.  That certainly would be
entertaining.   And if so, I find it intriguing that this change happens
mere weeks after WZBC's new "real-time" online playlist system went public
(www.zbconline.com)   It's a vast left-wing conspiracy I tell ya! :-)

I'm sure the folks at WBRU are disappointed that WWRX isn't changing
anything; they've lost a noticeable (although not drastic) hunk of audience
to WWRX...