Re: TV

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Faneuf" <tklaundry@juno.com>
To: <billings@suscom-maine.net>
Cc: <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2003 8:10 PM
Subject: Re: TV

> I am old enough to remember when every space launch was covered wall to
> wall (the entire flight from lift off to splash down and beyond) today,
> these things get bumped to the B or C segment of newscasts, most people
> don't know when there is a shuttle in orbit, couldn't name the shuttle
> and certainly can't name the crew (recent Columbia event excepted).

Do you seriously think every space launch should get covered wall to wall
now?  At some point, technological improvements stop being news.  Kitty Hawk
was big news.  A plane taking off today at Logan is not.

> but if it's more
> important to you to see reruns of your CBS and NBC programs then I  am
> happy they are accommodating you.

I didn't say it was more important.  I just don't think continuous coverage
adds that much.  Maybe it could if they did it better, but quantity does not
mean quality.  Americans can be fully informed with regular updates and news
programming that summarizes and analyses what has happened.  It is not
critical that we see on a map every fire that is burning as soon as it
happens.

People also need some down time.  For those that don't have cable, I think
it is useful for there to be some alternative programming on some of the
channels so there is an alternative to constant war coverage.

> the dumbing down of America

Having some balance does not equal dumbing down.  A few minutes of
basketball instead of war coverage is good for our collective mental health.
Maybe you should try it.  You seem a little stressed today.  ;-)

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine