Re: WLW and "Morning Edition"

If everything had been equal, increasing the power by a factor of 10 would have
increased the signal strength everywhere by sqrt(10) or 3.16 times. However,
except over salt water (and even that exception is only approximate), a tenfold
power increase does not increase by anything close to 3.16 times the distance
from the antenna to any specified contour (for example to the 0.5 mV/m contour,
which represents the limit of the daytime primary service).

For an example, go to the FCC's CDBS database and open up the application
(actually now a CP) of WXYT Detroit to increase from 5 kW-U DA-N to 50 kW-U DA-
2. Despite the tenfold power increase, the land AREA encompassed by the 0.5
mV/m groundwave contour does not appear to even double. If the patterns were
circular (and, of course, only the old 5 kW ND day pattern is even close to
circular), you would have expected the radius of any given contour to increase
by 3.16 times--that is by sqrt(10). Were that the case, the area enclosed by
the contour would increase by 10 times. (The area within a circle is
proportional to the SQUARE of the radius.)

It's a little complicated to explain why is the area increase so much smaller
than you might predict. The most pronounced effect is that of the finite soil
conductivity. Although the effect depends on the actual conductivity and the
frequency, a fair first approximation is that the field strength at any given
distance from the antenna is proportional to the square root of the antenna-
input power (times a multiplier for the antenna efficiency, which depends on
the tower's electrical height) divided by the SQUARE of the distance from the
antenna. Note that the divisor is NOT just the distance. Only over salt water
does dividing by just the distance provide a fair approximation of the decrease
in signal strength with increasing distance. The higher the frequency and the
worse the soil conductivity, the greater the exponent to which you must raise
the distance term in the divisor.

So for WLW, the 500-kW operation might have extended the coverage radius not by
sqrt(10) but by something closer to sqrt(3). But there's more. WLW had to
directionalize to protect CBL, which at the time was on 690. If you think about
the effect, you will realize that directional operation costs a station some
coverage area. It would not do so were it not for the effect of finite soil
conductivity, but since infinite conductivity does not exist anywhere on earth
(even over salt water), a DA ALWAYS costs an AM station some coverage area and
the more directional the pattern, the greater the cost.

Anyhow, if you can follow it, there's your explanation. The allegation that the
10-times power increase did not increase the groundwave coverage area is wrong,
but it is closer to correct than you might think.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205