Protest music on radio (was "Country music"...)

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 00:03:51 -0500
From: "A. Joseph Ross" <lawyer@attorneyross.com>
Subject: Re: Country music stands on the war (and radio)

>Isn't this the point that we were discussing a couple of weeks ago?
>That there will be no protest songs because the corporate powers that be
>who own almost all radio stations won't put them on the air. I haven't
>noticed any oldies stations playing Bob Dylan or Pete Seeger of Joan Baez,
>either. I haven't even heard protest songs on our handful of small
>independent stations -- with one exception.  About a month or so ago, I
>heard those wonderfully eccentric folks on WATD on Saturday afternoon play
>"Come and Sing a Simple Song of Freedom."

I've played that one recently too (Tim Hardin, #50 Billboard, August 1969).

There's still plenty of anti-war and "protest" music, both old and new, on
(certain shows on) college stations, as there always has been (including
mine, at times).

It does appear to be true that nowadays, unlike in the 60's/early 70's,
new or current anti-war music does not get exposure anywhere else.

Can you picture any new song with lyrical content anything like "Eve Of
Destruction", a #1 Billboard pop hit in Sepetember 1965 (despite "banning"
in some areas at the time) getting any commercial airplay now, no matter
how catchy the tune may be? I'd be very surprised.

Eli Polonsky

http://mail2web.com/ .