RE: WBOQ and the "martini format" (BRW)

> WVCA was a legally licensed operation.  Geller's FCC trouble
> was instead perhaps related to lack of news, public affairs,
> etc, and/or some other thing FCC did not like about his
> one-man operation.  Ironically, today's FCC would seemingly
> WELCOME all that?

Geller's FCC troubles related to the fact that he was not on the air for a
minimum number of hours. When he started the station it played top 40/MOR.
When he could not make ends meet financially, he laid off all of the staff
and ran the station as a one man operation.  He had no commercial load and
survived by literally begging on the air for donations.  "I've got a big
electric bill and if you want to continue to hear WVCA, please send some
money."

Geller originally ran the shows live.  Frequently you'd hear a record
sitting in the runout groove for 5-10 minutes followed by a crash as he ran
into the studio and keyed up the board mike at the same time.  This would
usually be followed by "I'm sorry about the record, I was watching Columbo".

There were several challenges to his license by groups that wanted the
allocation.  One of the points that they pressed before the FCC was that he
wasn't on the air for a full broadcast day and that the hours were
irregular. He finally countered by taping shows on an old Roberts reel to
reel deck and using the tape so he could run out to get groceries or pay the
electric bill.

His legal troubles were largely the result of this group trying to convince
the FCC to strip him of his license and give it to them.  He was, however,
properly licensed.

Brian T. Vita, President
Cinema Service & Supply, Inc.
75 Walnut St. - Ste 4