Re: WBOQ and the "martini format" (BRW)

As I'm sure the curator of such information, Peter George, will confirm,
calling WVCA unlicensed is nothing but untrue. Had WVCA not been licensed, the
Tangers would not have had to pay Geller $1 million for the license, nor would
a competing company, Grandbanke, whose chairman was--I believe--Josiah
Spaulding, have spent years in hearings attempting to wrest Geller's license
from him on the grounds that he was not providing an adequate broadcast service
to Gloucester and environs.

I'm not sure whether Grandbanke (which was exceedingly well connected
politically) placed the WVCA license renewal in hearing (something no ORDINARY
applicant could have managed) only after Geller refused to sell to them or
whether they were just opposed to paying a licensee for his station and figured
that, with their connections, they wouldn't have to. In any event, the ploy did
not work. Geller was able to keep the license and sell it to a different
company (Marlin, which I believe was even then the name of the Tangers'
company) at a time of his choosing and a price he negotiated.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205