Fwd: Re: Satellite

>DATE: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 11:33:19
>From: Dave Faneuf <tklaundry@juno.com>
>To: sunshine@angelfire.com
>Cc:boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org

>On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 09:00:45 -0800 "pete lee" <sunshine@angelfire.com>
>writes:
>  Note that this is the time of year where the sun interferes with
> radio satellite distribution. Yesterday (Wednesday) Tom Martino's
> "Troubleshooter" live feed took a four-minute hit.
>
> My question is: if astronomers can predict eclipses. et al, can
> satellite outages be likewise predicted?

>Yes they can be prredicted and they are predicted.  >Last Sat & Sun the
>Satellite that NPR uses was hit at 2pm we knew this >weeks in advance and
>made arrangements so that when the Satellite >transmission went down no
>one listening on the air noticed.
>df

Once, and only 1 time that I recall, there was a warning at the
start of a Metropolitan Opera broadcast that it would
go silent for a few minutes when solar interference would be at
max behind the transponder.  The opera was Gounod's "Faust"...if that happened now, people might detect an
anti-French cabal.

Laurence Glavin