Re: RE: Re: Non-comm rankings

On 4 Mar 2003 at 20:25, Dan Billings wrote:

> Most people listen to the radio for short periods.  During those short
> periods spent listening, they want to hear the recognizable songs they
> like. If they don't, they turn the dial.  That is why stations have
> limited playlists of a few songs that test very well.  It doesn't make for
> lots of repetition if you listen for long periods (or work there), but
> most people don't listen for long.  Complaining about tight playlists is
> like asking "Why does WBZ do the same news and weather every 10 minutes."
> Radio is a business, it's not art.  By the way: Top 40 stations in the
> glory days of AM radio had even tighetr playlists than stations have
> today.

Classical music listeners listen for much longer periods, and they don't appreciate hearing
the same things too often.

I don't think Top 40 stations in the "glory days of AM radio" had tighter playlists than stations
today.  Besides the Top 40 -- 40 songs, mind you -- they also played new records not yet on
the charts and often a smattering of oldies, "blasts from the past," or "from the WKBR-
chives," etc.  And the DJs had a certain amount of freedom in choosing these, I hear.