Re: Boston Herald Online Goes Pay-Per-View

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Smyth, Sean wrote:

> I would be surprised if they got 100 subscriptions. You

I'd be surprised if they get ONE.

Papers make 75 percent of their money through advertising. I read the
papers online...and do as much as possible to avoid the annoying pop-ups.

Considering the quality of today's newspapers...spending 25 to 75 cents is
a waste.  The ultra-bloated Sunday Times (New York) costs $3.00!!!!! And
most of it is just fluff....and advertising circulars.   The only paper I
sometimes buy is the thin New York Sun (a 25 cent daily paper - mostly
conservative, but still seems like a gentleman's paper).

> they're in deep financial doo over there (paying $150 mil
> for CNC will do that to ya).

What's CNC?

And what's with that awful new front page?  I saw it for the first time
two weeks ago while in Boston.  It looks like some amateur USA Today.
Blechh...

The Herald did look a tad classy with its old red-trimmed front page with
the paperboy running with the bundle of papers.

--
Sven