Re: Lowry Mays speaks

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 16:15:33 -0600 "Steve West"
<stevewest106@hotmail.com> writes:
> >Dave:
> >I wasn't going to weigh in on this because of my lack of experience
> with
> >VT however I found that paragraph interesting.  I know of ongoing
> talks
> >between a group and union in which this very argument was used by
> mgmt.
> >Then the book came out and showed the station had its best ratings
> during
> >the time frame they said they needed to VT in order to maintaine a
> >quality product all the time....weekends and nights...  AFAIK mgmt
> is
> >still looking in that direction ignoring the fact that the "lesser"
> >talent that they hired in the first place, are pulling in
> impressive
> >numbers.
> >Just my .02
> >df
>
> Interesting, but not unexpected.  Frequently in arguements like
> that, the
> final word comes from the sales department.  Bottom line:  AM/PM
> drive and
> Middays are the big sales times in the broadcast day.  Depending on
> the size
> of the market, Evenings may bring in the bucks on a top rated, top
> 50 market
> station, but often that 7pm-Midnight time slot is considered
> expendable.
>
> It didn't used to be that way, but its fairly common now.

My example is occuring in the #9 market in the country and is primarily
focused on weekend programming.  As far as the 7 to mid time slot goes
look at the numbers WBUR and WBZ put up in that time period,  If you have
a good product people will pay attention.  Shame on the sales dogs if
they don't have the experience (and from what I've seen only a few live
long enough these days to get much) to turn those time periods into
serious cash cows.
df