Re: Lowry Mays speaks

One major difference in radio today over 30+ years ago is the minor
league feeder system is gone. Manchester NH was a vibrant market with 3
more or less full time AM stations same with Worcester, Providence,
Portland etc.

Satellite radio kicked in 20 years ago on FM but it wasn't til Rush
roared onto the scene in 1990 that local in daytime was suddenly
vulnerable.

What we forget is that local radio in many markets didn't exist until
the early 50s as network radio was king. So in many ways we have come
full circle.

Another thing lost today is the local radio guy going against the big
outfits and causing fits. You will never see a Mac Richmond or R Peter
Straus again. WMEX stole the WMCA format rock til 10 then talk because
it worked.