Re: Lowry Mays speaks

At 01:40 PM 2/24/2003 -0500, Dan Billings wrote:
> > In the real world, if you have a
> > weak gov't oversight, you have weak gov't oversight period...you'll never
> > manage to tweak that agency's budget finely enough to have strong
>technical
> > oversight and weak ownership oversight.   Esp. since in a lot of cases
> > (more AM than FM) there is some overlap between the two.
>
>Huh?  Why can't you have the FCC concentrate on enforcing technical issues?
>The rules have changed.  Why can't the regulators strictly enforce the rules
>that remain?  You could argue that with less rules to enforce, they could do
>a better job of enforcing that ones that remain?
>
>-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine

"fewer" rules, Dan.  Not "less"   LOL  :-)

I just don't see the FCC...or any government agency....as being capable of
organizing itself in such a way to accomplish that.  The budget
brushstrokes are always too broad because there's always at least a small
constituency that will insist on some sort of ownership oversight, and the
politicians will insist on having some part of the FCC paying lip service
to it if nothing else.

Government, by design, is pretty inefficient...it's necessary to represent
the wishes of a diverse population.   Dan, your idea demands a greater
degree of streamlining than government is likely to allow, IMHO.

Similar arguments are being made over the SEC (Securities & Exchange
Commission) these days...since the SEC is not getting enough power or
funding to *really* enforce any laws, what's the point of having an SEC at
all?   Economically it's an easy call but of course it's all really politics.