Re: Grammys, music, and what it's come DOWN to...

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 20:52:41 -0500 "Bill O'Neill" <billo@shoreham.net>
writes:
> Watching Venessa Carlton. I could only ask myself one thing: What
> would
> SIMON say if she were on American Idol?  Oy.  The full string
> section
> behind her was amazing.  Too bad she didn't just keep quiet and let
> us
> hear them.  When I hear this on radio, it's evident just how much
> debt
> of gratitude we owe sound mixers and editors.  Nora Jones snuck onto
> the
> pop and AAA stage a few months ago and blew away the "wisdom" of
> programmers with a "sound" that challenged the need to niche.  Aside
> from her and young John Mayer, it can't be an easy time for
> programmers.
> Seems like there is a sheer dearth of currents that will take a
> place in
> the core.
>
> Bill O'Neill

Okay, I guess I'm older that I thought.  Who is Vanessa Carlton?  Granted
I have only been walking into the den where the Grammys are on when I
hear something I want to hear.....S&G, JT, the Dixie Chicks...I was
bummed that JT didn't win but considering Mayer is 16 I figure the kid
has got some serious talent....I'm done since I had to ask an 11 year old
who Gwen Stephanie's group was....Live now on CBS (just to keep a
broadcast thread)
df