Re: Club Owners

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 20:28:51 -0500 "Dan Billings"
<billings@suscom-maine.net>
Dave:
> > There are going to be facts left out of broadcast reports because
> of time
> > constraints and print reports for space constraints,  reporters
> and
> > editors have to pick and chose what they think is relevant to the
> story
> > and what isn't.  Jeff in his statement did not say there had never
> been
> > pyrotechnics at the club, he did say Great White did not request
> > permission and no permission was given.

Dan:
> But NBC picked facts that supported one side of the story and left
> out facts
> that support the other side of the story.  That, IMHO, is unfair.

Dave:
I think you missed the point of my response.  If NBC had been aware of
the accusation that The Station had used pyrotechnics in the past the
network my not have had time to corroborate the story and check with fire
officials on the state and local level to see if they had appropriate
permits for those event(s).  To run with something like this on a
national broadcast without checking the facts would have been "unfair"
and very bad journalism.

Dan:
> The media likes to quickly pick a villain in stories like these and
> it
> appears to me that many in the media decided early on that the band
> were the
> villains in this story.   Just like they decided that Gary Condit
> killed
> Chandra Levy (and it now looks like he didn't) and that Jeff
> Peterson killed
> his wife Lacy (which remains to be seen.)  They band may be the
> primary or
> only villains in this case, but things are often more complicated
> than they
> first appear.
> -- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine

Dave:
Maybe you were listening to different broadcasts regard Chandra Levy than
I, I never heard anyone in the media accuse the former congressman of
murder,  I did hear that he was hiding something....like an affair....
Yes, things may be more complicated than at first they seem, but it seems
to me that there are those who jump on the evil media at any and every
opportunity.
So I ask you, how did you write and broadcast this story?
df