Re: Club Owners

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 19:40:08 -0500 "Dan Billings"
<billings@suscom-maine.net> writes:

> Agreed.  But by saying that they "can not answer questions due to
> the on
> going investigation," they are trying to give the impression that a
> law or
> something else official keeps them from talking.
>Some people will
> here a
> statement phrased that why and think that they really can't speak.
> I would
> hope that a reporter would not repeat that phrase but would instead
> say that
> the owners decided not to answer questions upon the advice of their
> lawyer.
> That would be a more accurate statement of the facts and a
> journalist should
> make it clear that the owners are free to answer questions, bit have
> chosen
> not to.

Dave wrote:
Actually we really don't know that his statement wasn't a completely
accurate one.  Jeff did say that he answered questions for law
enforcement and that they are cooperating fully with the investigation.
It is not unusual for investigators to tell witnesses/suspects etc not to
talk to anyone about the investigation is it not?   So Jeff could have
been  saying can't because he was told by law enforcement that he could
not.  I think you are assuming it was just a legal opinion from his
personal attorney, something that I fully expect that his attorney agreed
with.

> The contrast between the owners actions and those the bands are also
> interesting.  Jack Russell has answered questions since yesterday
> morning.
> Of course, he's playing before 300 people in a bar in Rhode Island
> so he
> probably has little in the way of assets to worry about, though the
> band
> and/or their staff, IMHO, are much more likely to face criminal
> charges than
> the bar owners.
> -- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine

Not necessarily, I would expect that criminal charges will probably be
filed against both the band and the club for reasons I have stated
earlier (any legal type wanna chime in?).  The band ignited the
pyrotechnics...no permit... the club should have known that the band was
planning to use pyrotechnics by virtue of the wiring etc that was
involved, something that could have hardly been overlooked when the
roadies were setting up
df