Re: Boston Globe Online / Metro | Region / WPRI reporter's link to club stirs ethical questions

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Faneuf" <tklaundry@juno.com>
To: <billings@suscom-maine.net>
Cc: <bri@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2003 3:56 PM
Subject: Boston Globe Online / Metro | Region / WPRI reporter's link to club
stirs ethical questions

> I would say that just the opposite would be the case,  I know that I for
one would want to make very certain that no one could label me as being
biased since that would be the natural inclination once it was learned that
a reporter was a co-owner of the club.  yesterday the tv's did the right
thing and checked with other clubs the band recently played at and
discovered claims similar to the one being made by owners in this case, that
same question should have been, and apparently was eventually asked of
employees....you are right that being first does not mean getting an
accurate story on the air.

I saw a reporter from WPRI on Fox News that went on at length about what a
great person her colleague was.  This was the reporter covering the story
for WPRI.  She was not bending over to be fair, she was serving as a
character witness while covering the story.  I'm sure you would have done
better.  I heard a reporter from WHDH on Howie Carr who was clearly trying
to be very careful to be balanced since a colleague was involved.  It is not
fair to lump all reporters together as "the media" but, IMHO, the overall
radio and TV coverage yesterday tended to point the finger at the band,
while letting the club off the hook.

Your point on checking with other clubs is a good one.  It was appropraite
to presnt that info.  It would have been good to hear a reporter after
providing that information say "We are also trying to find out if pyro has
been used before at The Station."  Learning today that pyro had been used
there in the past, puts the statements made yesterday in a much different
light.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine