Re: WWRU-Elizabeth

Interesting about both stations--especially WSNR. The WSNR situation is
complex. When 620 lost its Tx site in Livingston, it constructed its current
site right next to WLIB in the Meadowlands. (I'm completely lost about which
town that site is in.) The station then petitioned the FCC to consider the
Meadowlands site as temporary and not license it, and the FCC apparently
complied--at least for a rather extended period. I was under the impression
that a mandatory part of the move--if it had been made permanent--was a change
in the COL (to Jersey City); I think that the signal from the Meadowlands
doesn't meet the requirements for COL coverage of Newark.

Anyhow, the Meadowlands site has major problems. WSNR has to be one of the most
hemmed-in AMs anywhere. Finding a technically suitable site where there
isn't objection to towers is an incredible--and maybe impossible--task. The
Livingston site had many advantages. Because of its farther-west location, the
terrible phasing in an arc of about 270 degrees to the north, west, and south
(a consequence of the required tight five-tower patterns) affected a far
smaller population than does the similar self-generated interference from the
Meadowlands site. Also, the greater distance to the salt-water path out Long
Island Sound made the problems of protecting stations such as WICC, WSNG, and
WPRO less critical. Moreover, the Livingston site was built in 1947 and so the
less stringent first-adjacent protection requirements for WIP, WPRO, and WEJL
applied.

After many tries, WSNR (or whatever the calls were at the time) submitted an
application to move back to a site just a couple of miles north of its original
Livingston site. From there, the station proposed using seven towers days and
five towers nights with 8500W days and 5000W nights. The COL would change to
Jersey City. The FCC first dismissed this application. (There must have been
technical deficiencies, but I am unaware of their nature.) As far as I knew,
the station's petition to have this application reinstated was granted and I
thought that it was in FCC limbo where it could langusih for years--or forever.
I don't know what gives with the change in the legal ID. It would seem to be
significant. Maybe I can uncover some new information by snooping around the
FCC AM database and the FCC CDBS database.

As for WWRU, I thought that its move to the 1380 site made using Elizabeth as
its COL a violation of COL-coverage rules. Perhaps the coverage of Jersey City
from the 1380 site doesn't meet the daytime COL requirements for Jersey City
and the proposal to operate directionaly days is an atempt to correct that
problem.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205