RE: Michael Moore; radio news

Donna writes:

> I don't know if any of you are fans, but Michael Moore is
> going to be the
> subject of a segement of "60 Minutes" tonight.

Moore is witty and talented.  He's never professed to be balanced in is
viewpoints, but that's okay, given his role as an entertainer.

We have
> discussed on this list how some of the last of the great radio news
> reporters are dying off, and it seems to be common these days
> to use TV
> journalists to feed network stories to both radio and TV...

I have noticed some very young 'uns on CNN.  Lots of missed tosses.  I
think what we miss the most is that lack of descriptive language
associated with those who have cut their teeth in radio.  I heard/saw
Bruce Morton on CNN this afternoon.  Wow.  That guy (wasn't he years
with NBC?) spoke with such eloquence and clarity.  And I could not even
begin to tell you what HIS political viewpoint was on this whole mess.
How refreshing.  Too bad he's relegated to the back-nine and Q4 of the
hour.  I must say, CNN has an opportunity.  With MSNBC tanking, FoxNews
decidedly the victor and more of a moderate/rignt lean, CNN could bring
on talent that can certainly hit the ground running (perhaps with the
help of support hose or a walker, but you get the point.)  Not that he's
an old guy, but whatever happened to Charles (C.D.) Jaco?  He was with
the '91 war.  I thing Martin Savage is a good guy to have on scene.
Candy Crowley was a former AP anchor and they've put her in the place of
prominence that she deserves (Presidential election coverage, at least.)

Bill O'Neill