Re: Amber Alert

At 09:53 PM 2/12/2003 -0500, Dan Billings wrote:
>We have discussed the establishment of Amber Alert systems in Massachusetts
>and Maine.  I wondered how long it would take for the first false alarm
>somewhere in the country.  Well, it didn't take long:
>
>Maryland's first Amber Alert was canceled Wednesday after police said the
>father of a missing 2-month-old girl fabricated a story that she was taken
>by an unlicensed taxi driver.
>
>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A64611-2003Feb12.html
>
>-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine

Interestingly, though...the article says that the police got "innumerable"
reports describing the car in the Amber alert.  Despite the fact that it
was a false alarm, it sounds like the concept behind the system
worked.   Although there's not much detail in the article that would
indicate the quality of the listener reports.