RE: mic (was NY anchor Bill Beutel retires)

Bill O waxed nostalgic:
>> <harp sfx> I remember my first time writing "mic."  You never forget
that kind of thing.  It was a sunny Saturday. July, I think.  About 23
years ago.  The tide was coming in and time was running out. She held
that RE-16 like a melting Rocky Road on a sugar come.....<face slap sfx> <<

wow.  for most of us, our first experience with a mic was probably of the sort
that accompanied our first cassette recorders, on which the input was
labeld "mic." (circa 1968)  although i know i did get to experiment with Dad's
old reel-to-reel machine earlier than that, i'm not sure how the input for the
mic was labeled.

as to the original question posed by Mr.Glavin, it's been "mic" as long as i
can remember.
<harp sfx> the setting: Jordan Marsh, downtown crossing
the setup: kids looking for their uncle mike.
"can you help us find our Uncle Mike?  we've kind of lost him.  His last name
is Rowfone."
"certainly... paging Mr. Rowfone, would Mr.Mike Rowfone please call the
courtesy..."
(insert giggling 11 year olds here) <slapping own face sfx>

- -Chuck Igo