Re: NY anchor Bill Beutel retires

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 14:48:19 -0500 "Bill O'Neill" <billo@shoreham.net>
writes:
> Daniel writes:
> 1. Leave the paper ALONE.
> 2. Don't fake-chat as the show fades.
> 3. Just sit there, yawn, stretch, scratch your armpit, unhook your
> mic,
> or do the big-anchor thing and grab a phone.  THAT would be a reason
> watch through to the end.
> 4. Maybe get up so we can see giraffe-pajama trousers or even a
> mermaid
> deal going on there.  Think outside the bun (props to Taco Bell).

> Bill O'Neill

Years ago when I worked at BZ while Diane Stern was on maternity leave,
the radio news people had to go over to the TV studio and get Jack
Williams' script at the end of the 11pm news.  I remember once the late
Steven Smith walked over there and was standing next to the anchor desk
waiting for Jack to hand him his script and Jack turned, looked at Steven
and said, you know, we're still on the air...then smiling turned to the
camera and said he was going to save the tape of the show to play at the
Christmas party.
df