RE: NY anchor Bill Beutel retires

Daniel writes:

> For better or worse, the Beutel/Grimsby news team of the
> early 1970s (which
> included Geraldo Rivera) often gets the credit (blame?) for
> starting the
> trend of "happy talk" on-air chatter on local news broadcasting.

What I want to know is, what dream team started that paper
shuffle-bounce-all-together-now-smile as the credits rolled and the
bumper with brassy-urgency honked-on. Sheesh.
1. Leave the paper ALONE.
2. Don't fake-chat as the show fades.
3. Just sit there, yawn, stretch, scratch your armpit, unhook your mic,
or do the big-anchor thing and grab a phone.  THAT would be a reason to
watch through to the end.
4. Maybe get up so we can see giraffe-pajama trousers or even a mermaid
deal going on there.  Think outside the bun (props to Taco Bell).

Bill O'Neill