Re: Cable was:Re: Other problems caused by Mt. Washington fire

Jeremy:
I bought this same matter up here on the list a few weeks ago. I
received an off-line reply from somebody in Bangor who knew the techs.
at Adelphia.  According to him, back in 80s, The Bangor Channels were
all placed on the same dial position as off-air  (2 on 2, 5 on 5, etc)
but the RF intereference was strong enough in the Bangor area to
generate lots of extra noise, and due to numerous customer complaints,
they swapped positions to eliminate interference.

Personally, I think with tody's digital tuners and  sets and fiber-optic
distribution, that RF interference could be eliminated, and if Adelphia
wanted, they could put the Bangor VHFs at their dial position.  And I
know that down here on Mount Desert Island, even before the
Ellsworth/Bar Harbor fiber optic link, the RF would never have been a
problem to start with.  But I think Adelphia pretty much has the dial
all standardized over Eastern and Central Maine, and if they changed it,
custmers would get confused and whine.

But, yes, I too have occasionally punched in the wrong channels on my
VCR timer and messed up taping Leno or Letterman.

Now if I could just convince Adelphia to put on a Canadian channel or
two (CBC, CTV, Global)

Rod O'Connor
Southwest Harbor, Maine