Re: Storm cancellations on radio, TV

At 04:10 PM 2/9/2003 -0500, Dan Billings wrote:
>At this point, radio has lost cancellations to TV and the web, but that has
>come at a great cost.  It used to be every family listened to the radio on
>stormy mornings.  Now, many families only tune into the radio while in the
>car.
>
>-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine

Well, certainly one thing a station COULD use their data services side of
IBOC is for school closings info.  The main audio feed would just announce
on a fairly regular basis (every 15 or 20 minutes, say?) that "Press button
4 to hear school closings in your area now!"    And when there's no school
closings...the channel could be used for ...oh hell, I dunno.  Anything I
suppose.