FW: 80th Anniversary of radio in the Whitehouse

-----Original Message-----
From: Donna Halper [mailto:dlh@donnahalper.com]
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2003 12:18 AM
To: Hakim Madjid
Subject: Re: 80th Anniversary of radio in the Whitehouse

Since my e-mails are still getting bounced, please forward this to the
list.  Thanks.

>Hakim wrote--
>Maybe a radio historian like Donna can weigh in further on this.

Yes, I have the newspaper clipping about Harding getting a radio installed
at the White House.  Except, the radio was installed in 1922, not
1923.  Anyway, in those days, getting a radio was a big deal.  Some
politicians were just beginning to use radio, and the newspapers were
weighing in on who sounded natural over the airwaves and who sounded
nervous...Here in Boston,  controversial Mayor James Michael Curley had
already gone out to Medford Hillside to speak on WGI on several occasions
in 1922.  And to show how things have changed, when Harding died suddenly
in August of 1923, all the radio stations went off the air (!) during his
funeral as a tribute to him.