Re: Globe on John Garabedian

Left unsaid in this rehash of the RKO MEX wars is how both stations
tried to ignore that FM was not going away. It was right around this
time that college students discovered FM sounded a whole lot better in
their dorm rooms.

Looking back you wonder how much impact tiny WTBS had in WBCN flipping
to rock in 1968. Tommy Hadges and Uncle T were the torchbearers for FM
and who knows what kind of audience they had.

I was dumbfounded that so many suits in the industry really believed FM
was a passing fad. I sensed FM could be a monster when Jack Peterson
developed a following in Cambridge on WLLH-FM in the mid 60's and then
WRKO-FM and WKOX-FM also attracted listeners.

FM had by early 1967 taken off in other markets especially NYC with
WOR-FM but here the only station that people bothered to buy converters
for was WHIL-FM and its country format. All the major AM players (with
the exception of MEX) had FM slots but didn't have a clue on what to do
with them. Then WJIB came along and WEZE vanished from the ratings
almost overnight.

To me one of the great mysteries is how Westinghouse had no clue what to
do with 106.7.

We still had a few more years of great AM radio ahead of us and in my
mind the great story was how WHDH reinvented itself and became a monster
in the mid 70s. They were able to attract all the at home. teenaged
girls from the 60s who had become moms. They milked CashCall as well as
any promotion this city has seen before or since. The Blair people only
made one major misstep and that was balking at the Red Sox wanting a
little more money and the team moved to WMEX which was trying to become
what WHDH was in the 60s (Alan Dary etc)