Re: Globe on John Garabedian

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sean Smyth" <ssmyth@suscom.net>
To: <DonKelley@aol.com>; <boston-radio-interest@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Sent: Saturday, February 01, 2003 12:11 AM
Subject: Re: Globe on John Garabedian

> Don Kelley <DonKelley@aol.com> wrote:
> > One of these days I'll share the story of how John Gareabedian had a
> national copyright on the phrase "on-line" back in 1973.

Sean asked:
> Did he still hold the copyright on the phrase come time for the Internet
> revolution?

I think you mean trademark, not copyright.  A trademark is registered for a
certain product or service type.  If  Gareabedian registered the trademark
for a radio show, it would not necessarily keep someone from using it for a
computer service, unless their was a likelihood of confusion between the
products (i.e, someone would think that America Online was produced by the
same people who put out the Online radio shows.)

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine