Re: BBC cutting news jobs

<<On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 17:22:20 -0800, Aaron Read <aread@speakeasy.net> said:

> ** then again, I don't know squat about shortwave transmitters, but
> I'd think you'd need something pretty powerful to reach across the
> Atlantic day and night.

Typical shortwave transmitters these days use digital modulation and
are similar in design to a Harris DX-series AM transmitter.  Power
output is comparable to that used by European domestic broadcasters
(which is to say about ten times that used in North America).  Where
the real differences come in are with antenna-system design and
operation, since most shortwave broadcasters must switch, slew, and
tune a number of different HF antenna systems to deliver programming
to target audiences scattered around the globe.

The big shortwave broadcasters have relay stations located closer to
the regions they serve; for example, BBC and VOA programs to the
Middle East are broadcast from relay stations in Cyprus and Kuwait.
Most international broadcasters interested in reaching the U.S. do so
via Radio Canada International's transmitters in Sackville, N.B.
(VOA's domestic transmitters are generally used for `mosaic' program
services that do not receive 24-hour coverage, particularly parts of
Asia, South and Central America, and Africa.)  The Canadians are glad
to have the revenue, which has helped to keep RCI in business despite
significant reductions in funding from Ottawa.

-GAWollman