Re: BBC cutting news jobs

For the record, the Beeb is not being coy, Orwellian or playing with
language in using that phrase; 'made redundant' is standard UK
corporate-speak for 'laid off', as in 'After the dot-com bust, I was
made redundant and had to queue up for the dole." Or something like
that. 'Compusory redundancies' could be translated as 'early
retirement' or 'involuntarily unemployed'. When I worked for a company
based out of the UK, we heard a lot of phrases like that. Companies
referred to in the plural is also common place-- 'The BBC are making
redundant many employees' rather than 'The BBC is..".

-TC