Re: Entercom imposes contract on AFTRA

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 22:55:58 -0500 "Sean Smyth" <ssmyth@suscom.net>
writes:
>> Dave:
> >> Most of a reporter/anchor's job is done off-air yep, and you are
> >> paying for their expertise both on the air and off air.  I have
> also
> >> observed the anchors/reporters at WRKO and they are among the
> best
> >> still working in the business.

Sean:
> Tony and I have a different perspective on this (coming from the
> newspaper
> world) but let me say that I'd be thrilled to read news and work in
> the
> office for $45k. I did many of the same duties (and then some) when
> working
> as a sports writer for CNC, er, Cheapo Newspaper Company (except go
> on-air,
> of course) for less than half the wage. Tony does many of the same
> things
> now working as an editor of a weekly (if he's still where I think he
> is).
> Just giving you some perspective here...
>
> Now, should the salary be higher? Yes. Can people live on it by
> themselves?
> Probably not. Many people in the media (including newspapers) with
> similar
> experience are making nowhere near that amount that Entercom is
> starting at,
> though, and would jump at the chance to take it. As Dan alluded to,
> it's all
> about supply and demand.

Dave:
With all due respect for our brothers and sisters in publishing, we are
not talking about working at a suburban weekly newspaper here,  we are
talking about working in one of the biggest stations in one of the
largest markets in the country.   Double A ball vs Major League Ball
(ducking now)  ;-)