Re: Re:Clear Channel cuts do include on air positions

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sven Franklyn Weil" <sven@gordsven.com>
To: "Cooper Fox" <fox893@yahoo.com>
Cc: <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2003 9:18 AM
Subject: Re: Re:Clear Channel cuts do include on air positions

> In almost every Stephen King book that takes place in Maine he
> somehow always mentions WZON - playing rock music. Go figure....
>
> Why did he switch it to sports talk?

I don't remember all the details or the complete timeline, but WZON didn't
switch directly from rock to sports talk under King's ownership.

As I remember it, at some point in the last 1980s/early 1990s, King sold
WZON to new owners that switched it to talk.  For short time, WZON was
simulcast on the 1590 out of Gorham (possibly illegally?).  I'm not sure if
King ended up with the station directly from the group he sold it to or if
there was another owner in the interim that switched it to sports talk.

Maybe someone else can provide a more complete and accurate report on the
history of King and WZON.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine