Re: Media myths (Was Townsend)

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 13:50:30 -0500 Donna Halper <dlh@donnahalper.com>
writes:
> contaminated.  A search of the Washington Post database will show
> that the
> newspaper issued a correction and explained that they had indeed
> distorted
> Gore's quote about Love Canal.

I don't recall the correction being as widespread as the initial story,
they never are.  So when a respected news organization makes a blatant
error such as that the damage is done it becomes "true" in the minds of
millions of people.  Which brings me back to the original point of Media
Myths, there are many like that regarding all kinds of people and issues
and once they are done they are rarely undone and it is impossible to
undo the wrongs when talk show hosts continue to present them as fact
even though the hosts know it is not true.
df