Fwd: Re: Re:Re:Wired.com on Reversing Consolidation

--

--------- Forwarded Message ---------

DATE: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 22:14:05
From: "Aaron 'Bishop' Read" <aread@speakeasy.net>
To: Dave Faneuf <tklaundry@juno.com>, lawyer@attorneyross.com
Cc:billings@suscom-maine.net, wollman@lcs.mit.edu,boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
At 06:39 PM 1/12/2003, Dave Faneuf wrote:

IIRC...non-commercial stations are forced to carry underwriting (I think
the underwriting/advertising rules still apply - although for obvious
reasons that's largely a moot point) for federal office candidates at no
cost to the candidate.   However, most candidates don't take advantage of
this because:

A: They're completely unaware of it.

B: They're aware enough to know that most public radio listeners would be
more annoyed than pleased to hear political ads on their favorite public
radio station.

I once saw a program-length political ad for Lyndon LaRouche on WGBH-TV channel 2.
Now I know why it was on...I always wondered.