Re: Re:Re:Wired.com on Reversing Consolidation

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 13:17:50 -0500 (EST) Garrett Wollman
<wollman@lcs.mit.edu> writes:
> <<On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 08:47:52 -0500, Dave Faneuf
> <tklaundry@juno.com> said:
>
> > The current atmosphere is difficult enough to try to get local
> > service, allow a same city publication to begin acquiring stations
> > and the few independent voices left are gone.
>
> So you're trying to suggest that if, for example, Greater Media and
> NYTCo were to merge, an ``independent voice'' would disappear?  I'd
> like to live in that world....
>
> -GAWollman

I'm suggesting that if NYTco and Infinity were to merge you would begin
to see the slant of Times/Globe coverage on BZ but more to the point in
markets where there is a single paper and single broadcast outlet serving
the communities allow the publisher to buy the broadcaster and Dick Armey
(sp) will have a lot of company complaining about fair coverage.
df