Re: Fwd: Re: Could it be....

On 6 Jan 2003 at 18:50, Laurence Glavin wrote:

> Only very vague predictions have a chance, and saying G.H.W. Bush is
> vulnerable seems to me to fit into that category.

I remember back in the 1960s being rather struck by the claims of psychic Jean Dixon
concerning her supposedly successful predictions.  As I continued to follow her predictions, I
found that many of her most successful "predictions" never seemed to appear anywhere until
after the fact.  And some of her predictions that I did see in advance of the "event" never
came true -- for example, she predicted, in mid-1964, that the Berlin Wall would come down
before the end of the year.

Other predictions are no-brainers.  Her prediction that the Republicans would make sharp
gains in Congress in 1966 fell in that category.  After the huge Johnson landslide in 1964,
with large numbers of Democrats elected on his coattails, it wasn't at all surprising to see
the usual off-year election gains for the opposition party, magnified by the number of House
Democrats who didn't have the President's coattails this time.  The Republicans gained
something like 47 seats in the House, but the Democrats still had a large majority.

But if you make enough predictions, some are going to come true.  She did make a few
which surprised me.  Before it happened, I read her prediction that Khrushchev was about to
be replaced as Soviet leader.  However, she said that his successor's name began with the
letter "S."  It didn't.

And, at a time when Johnson's popularity was at its height, I read her prediction that the
Republicans would win the Presidency in 1968, which they did.