Re: Playlists of Oldies er... Super Hits Stations

--- Roger Kirk <rogerkirk@ttlc.net> wrote:
> After listening to The Wave for a few days, I feel
> that
> their playlist seems musch deeper than Oldies 103's.
>  Is
> it common for a "new" station to widen/deepem their
> playlist, grab listeners' ears and then contract the
>
> playlist as soon as the listenership is up?

I wouldn't think so.  The opposite would be more
likely.  The general theory is that the most
recognizable and popular songs are what "grab"
listeners.  I have heard of stations that narrow
playlists during ratings periods and expand them in
non-rated periods to avoid burnout.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine