Re:Re: Amber Alert & WBZ

At 02:25 PM 1/4/2003, Dave Faneuf wrote:
>I am not criticizing the hard work you and others put into developing this
>system, just the opposite I applaud you.  My original post was a query as
>to why BZ's competitors would agree to allowing the only entry point for
>Amber Alert to be WBZ.
>df

Well, we've wandered far away from that question, but the answer is pretty
simple: they don't have a choice.  EAS is a federal program with clearly
established lines of communication (now if they'd just tell the rest of us
what those lines are, then we'd all know too! :-)

Regardless, because the way the system works, you CANNOT have multiple
P.E.P.'s and multiple LP-1's beyond the established system...certainly not
for just one aspect of the entire system.   Think how confusing it is
now...it'd be 10 times worse.

 From a practical standpoint, and this has been largely confirmed by Mark's
earlier post, I don't think any major news station is depending on EAS for
breaking news.   There's far faster and far more comprehensive means of
getting the info (police scanners, AP, metro, etc).  Hence another reason
why they're not concerned about any "advantage" WBZ might have.

Aaron "Bishop" Read       aread@speakeasy.net
Fried Bagels Consulting   www.friedbagels.com
AOL-IM: ReadAaron         Brighton, MA 02135