Re: WQSO now "The Wave" (was "96.7 due to switch")

WQSO is doing what a lot of oldies stations around the country are
starting to do--updating the music library and dropping the "oldies"
moniker.  Since the format has been so resistant to change over the
years, the term "oldies" is widely considered to mean "50's and 60's
feel good oldies for older baby boomers."  Many people in the younger
demos just don't relate to the term "oldies" and don't consider the
music they grew up with to fall within that description.  Since WQSO
does not have the heritage in the format of a WODS, WWBB, WCBS-FM or a
WDRC-FM, it's not a suprise that they dropped the term "oldies" from
their presentation.  Traditional oldies stations are chasing after the
boomers into the less profitable 55+ demographic and becoming the next
Music Of Your Life format. In contrast, stations that want to remain
gold-based and target 25-54 will probably do what WQSO and other
stations have done--reworking the "oldies" format for the next
generation by changing the music, and the name.

Mike Thomas