Re: Radio Listening--Human Contact

Young people today not only have more music and entertainment options
than older generations did, but they also have more communication
choices as well.  Instant messaging is used quite heavily by teenagers,
and older teens along with 20-something adults have cellphones and now
text messaging. If a kid is bored, he/she goes online, and within
minutes, they are streaming music from a website and IM'ing with
friends. Most young people would rather do that than listen to some DJ
talk over a song.  Since teens are turning to the internet more and more
for their music, and they are keeping themselves connected and
entertained with other media, it's no wonder they don't have the
fondness for radio as we do, or the need for live DJ's. It's just not as
intimate or immediate.  Rather, it's detached and generic, something
this latest generation doesn't relate to.  In the world of cable
channels, music, and websites specifically targeted to young people,
generic just doesn't cut it.

Despite all the pot shots radio has taken during the post-consolidation
years, the medium is not the problem.  Competition is forcing radio to
reassess how it's being used.  When I was a kid in the 70's, radio had
many of the same problems that it has today--too much meaningless
chatter, lots of commercials and promotional clutter, and even stretches
of time where the music was really bad.  Still, radio did well because
thats all there was.  There was no MTV, Disney Channel, or Nickelodeon
to watch back in the day.  Outside of kiddie shows in the afternoon,
over the air TV was a totally adult-targeted medium. Radio was the only
source of entertainment for kids and teens.  It's just not that way
anymore.

Mike Thomas