Re: Bruins Hockey Mix-Minus?

During the day--especially during critical hours when the signal to the
northeast is a bit stronger, WWZN may come in as well (or nearly as well) in
the Seacoast Region as does WEEI. Both stations' towers are taller than half
wave, WWZN's transmitter is at least 6 miles closer to the Seacoast (maybe a
bit more), and the directional pattern is centered on the northeast. Meanwhile,
WEEI's pattern is aimed closer to due east. On the other hand, 1510 is 1.776
times 850, so in terms of wavelengths, which are what count in AM propagation,
the 1510 signal has to tavel quite a bit further.

At night, of course, you can forget about 1510 up there. Between (literally)
WTOP and WWKB and with all of the co-channel signals that make it up this way
at night as well as a pattern that is nulled to the north to protect a deleted
station in Sherbrooke PQ, WWZN must be strictly a DX catch in Seacoast NH. As
for 850, as long as no station has replaced CKVL, that frequency should be
pretty free of nighttime interference.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205