Re: Patriots 10 year contract extension with WBCN

regarding Monday Night Football's Sullivan-esque fawning, Dave F. wrote:

<<(snip)...I tuned in to watch a football game and naively thought I might get
some insight into the plays as well....>>

sadly, i tuned in to watch a football game, too, but someone forgot to tell our
beloved, defending SuperBowl Champions.

while some wonder if the broadcast lads have lost a step: in Gil & Gino's
defense, many of these new stadium setups have the play-by-play folk somewhere
within the stadium's area code, but not always with the best "naked eye" views
of the field, court or ice.  there are many PBP professionals bemoaning the
enlarged sports facilities due to a lack of the closeness formerly enjoyed at
the older venues.  cases in point: the Fenway broadcast perch is higher (by
about 600 fans?) than it used to be; and there was never a better seat in the
house than in the old Garden's broadcast boxes dangling out over the ice.

oft times, the reference is heard on many a radio call, both local and network,
of "...seeing that from a different angle, i can see where the coach has a
beef..." or something to the effect that reflects the presence of a video
monitor in the booth.  i do find that a bit of a disservice to the listening
audience... after all, they want me to LISTEN, but they'll use the TV video
whenever possible and then innocently make reference to a replay or whatever.
  i know they have video in the booth, and i'd much rather be watching the
game, when possible.  i think the TV references give the listener a reason to
find an another way to "get" the game.

- -Chuck Igo