Re: Patriots 10 year contract extension with WBCN

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 03:00:32 -0500 Nostatic <nostatic@attbi.com> writes:
Mike writes:
> snip<
> Gil Santos and Gino Cappaletti?  Personally, I think they stink!
> Look,
> Gil is probably a really nice guy, and I have nothing against him
> personally.  He sounds good doing scripted sports reports on WBZ,
> and
> does have a great set of pipes, but he can't call a game to save his
> life!

Dave:
I guess it's a matter of opinion,  I think Gil and Gino do a fine job,
case in point while the Patriots were getting crushed by the Titans last
night I was at work and could not hear their PBP so I was subjected to
John Madden and Al Michaels fawning all over Hank Williams Jr. in the
booth....never mind there was a football game underway.  Michaels sounded
annoyed that he had to every once in a while interrupt his conversation
with Hank to mention it was 2nd and 6 on the .....yard  line.  If I want
to see entertainers I'll watch a variety show,  I tuned in to watch a
football game and naively thought I might get some insight into the plays
as well.  I finally just turned off the sound and only turned it back up
when the officials were reviewing plays.

>Mike<
> Both of them are unabashed "homers" as well.  Now, it was one thing
> when
> Johnny Most did it because he knew what was going on during the
> game,
> and weaved in his partial opinions in a humorous manner that made
> the
> broadcast entertaining, but did not compromise the accuracy of the
> play
> by play.

Dave:
While Johnny Most was entertaining to listen to his PBP was not all that
accurate IMHO. I would be watching a Celtics game on TV with Johnny's PBP
in the background and many times, especially when he thought Bird had
been fouled, I wondered what game he was watching.  Gino and Gil are
homers and I expect them to be.  When I'm watching a national team doing
a national game (Monday night football etc) I expect the announcers to be
impartial.....yeah, It's lovely in my little dream world.  ;-)

<Mike>
>Gil and Gino sound like two old geezers that miss three
> quarters of the action, then they wait for the video replay to show
> them
> what they missed.

Dave:
Every once in a while I'll watch a high school football game on public
access TV where those OLD GEEZERS don't broadcast....that's quality for
you!   As far as missing plays, It has more to do with the angle of
vision from the broadcast booth versus camera angle on the field.  Never
been in a broadcast booth at a football game have you?

>Mike<
>Personally, I find it kind of sad.  Not being a
> Patriots fan,  <snip>
> Mike Thomas

What's sad are the Jets.
df