Re: EAS Monthly tests and retransmission

Matthew Osborne wrote:

>When I got into my car my radio was on 94.3 FM
>Kingston NY from earlier in the day, and I noticed an
>odd sounding static being broadcast.  At first I
>thought it was a studio to transmitter link problem or
>something simple, but after about 20 seconds, the
>static abruptly ended, followed by the three message
>termination chirps of EAS!!!  And since it is an
>automated, satellite oldies station, it just dumped
>back into the middle of the song that was being played
>over "the bird"...
>     Right after I got home, I called a different local
>station that is live and local overnight, and the jock
>on duty confirmed that what I was just supposed to
>have heard was the monthly EAS test!  Looks like their
>EAS receiver is not working properly, if even at all.

If their receiver wasn't working properly, they likely never would have
received the test at all.  Not having the RMT schedule for N.Y. state I
don't know who was the originator (likely either the National Weather
Service or a state public safety agency), but my guess is that they sent
the header info, but not the actual test message.  Here in N.H. this
happens fairly regularly...either there is nothing but static in the
message, or it is garbled and unintelligible.  The RMTs (Required Monthly
Test) must be relayed per FCC rules, they make no provisions for selective
airing.  Garbage in, garbage out.

>Is it just me, or is this something serious?  Imagine
>if, God forbid, there was a real emergency and the
>system needed to be activated, how in the world would
>anyone listening to that frequency get any critical
>information from static?

Ed Brouder, EAS co-ordinator for N.H. may be able to add more, but like any
other system, EAS is only as strong as it's weakest link.  And there are a
lot of weak links in the chain.  Interestingly, the EAS system was designed
to accomodate unattended stations, but getting everyone on the same page at
the same time is like herding cats.