Re: NY Times Jr.

Laurence Glavin writes:
> The Globe does strange things in that box giving the listings of
> sports events on radio and TV.  They frequently list out-of-market
> stations when giving the outlets for a team on-the-road within New
> England. If UMass Lowell is paying a hockey game in Hartford, they may
> have it as "WJUL 91.5, WWUH 91.3" for example.  If the Spinners
> were to play in Pittsfield, they might have it "WCCM 800 (in the
> past) and WBEC 1420". Globeman Richard Buell has a listing of
> classical programming on several stations, and he tastefully ignores
> WCRB as much as possible.  He lists the Metropolitan Opera broadcasts
> not only on WBOQ and W-H-RB, but also WFCR and WAMC out in Western
> Mass. Something new popped up in the past two weeks...the talk-show
> section of the radio highlights box printed on Saturdays lists a show
> on WPNI-AM 1430! This of course is the WFCR fellow-traveler in
> Amherst, MA, on the same frequency as a station in metro
> Boston...very unusual.

Not that I need to reinforce what might be obvious to some...but it
basically all comes down to who pesters the respective agate person/copy
editor enough to get their stuff in. If a station changes format and calls
and the radio reporter (not a radio geek, I'm assuming for the sake of the
argument) doesn't inform the copy editor, then nothing ever gets changed.
There's one main guy who handles the Globe sports slot and maybe two or
three other guys who might pass along info for the sports listings...they'll
go with whatever they get. Back in my younger (and stupider and more bored
days) I'd actually call the Globe and Herald with listings of whatever high
school games were on area radio stations (after me wasting $$$ and time
calling them) -- and they actually published them! Joe Schmoe could call
them and say WMEX 1150 was airing a Jamaica Plain vs. Don Bosco football
game on some fall Friday and they wouldn't know any better, they'd put it in
there.