Who knew? WSPR FIned!

The FCC announced a fine for WSPR's former owner...and
since WSPR's past and current status has been
discussed with some interest in the past, I thought I
would pass this along.

Since WSPR is in Spanish...and the incidences listed
in this complaint are numerous and dated...I would
imagine someone (in the listening audience?) had to go
thru the trouble of taping the shows each
day...transcribing and reviewing?

Heres the FCC story:

Former WSPR-AM Owner Slapped With $22,400 Indecency
Fine

The FCC says the Spanish-language station, then owned
by Edmund Dinis, aired jokes on its morning show on
four occasions in 2000 and 2001 involving anal sex,
oral sex, "excretory activities" and sexual
intercourse with a child present (see transcript
below). Dinis questioned whether the material aired on
WSPR, since he didn't have tapes of the broadcasts in
question, and asserted that if it did air on the
station it was not patently offensive and that the
jokes were fleeting because they were not told by
on-air personalities but by callers. He also argued
that the WSPR staff at the time has since been
dismissed, that the replacement employees were
informed of FCC's indecency rules and that he had a
good record of compliance throughout his 20 years of
operation of his other station, WJFD/New Bedford, MA.
But the FCC countered that the morning show apparently
regularly invited listeners to call in with jokes,
since the complainant provided tapes of four separate
incidents. The FCC could have proposed a $28,000 fine
based on a $7,000 fine for each incident, but it
reduced the fine in consideration of Dinis' compliance
record.

Translation of Programming Aired on
WSPR-AM/Springfield, MA

Source: FCC

Dec. 7, 2000

* Caller: A man was peeing in a plant, a cop passes by
and asks why do you have that whistle out. The man
says I'm sorry officer this is not a whistle it's a
telescope. The policeman says, all right I'll see you
in court. While in court the judge tells the man, I
see that you are being charged with peeing in public
and having your whistle out. The man says please
you're wrong it was a telescope. The judge says, well
it says here that it was a whistle. Please explain
what you mean by a telescope. The man responds, well
if you put in your mouth it does not whistle, but if
you stick it in your little ass you'll see stars.

* Caller: There was a wife and husband leaving a bar
and they were drunk. The wife says wait for me a
second I need to pee out there. Then along came a
vampire and the husband said what do you want. The
vampire responds "I come to suck you." The husband
responds "suck me fast so my wife doesn't find out
she's waiting for me." (recorded laughter)

Dec. 8, 2000

* The following excerpt is part of a local gossip
segment:

Gossip Person: Wait I have something for you. (Singing
to the tune of a Son-By-Four song): "I'm sorry but I
have the runs at this moment. I'm pushing and
clenching my teeth, when the turd comes out. I'm
sweating, sweating very slowly, agonizing because the
turd won't come out. Darling, pass me the Vaseline, it
won't come out routinely, I'm constipated.  And I feel
it in my heart!" That's an original song.

Jan. 8, 2001

* Caller: I have a joke. A drunk man went into town on
a little horse. He had a drink and needed to pee, so
he went outside and pulled out "Juanito." A soldier
passed by and said what are you doing, there are many
young ladies that pass by around here, put your
"whistle" back inside. The drunk man said this is not
what you think. He said you better stop or I will
arrest you, the drunk man said but this is not what
you think, it's not a whistle, so the soldier arrested
him. They appear in front of the judge and the judge
says you have been arrested for exposing your whistle
in public. The man responded that it was not a
whistle, it was a telescope. If you put it in your
mouth you see nothing, if you put it up your ass
you'll see stars.

Jan. 17, 2001

* DJ Cassanova: It's time for the dumb joke segment.
We'll start with an in house one. One time "Pepito"
had just gotten up and heard moaning and groaning in
his parent's bedroom (DJ begins to make sound effects
of moans and groans). So he walked in and said "Dad,
Dad I want to ride the horse." The Dad agreed so that
"Pepito" didn't ask questions. He told him not to make
any noise. Pepito gets on the Dad, and the Dad keeps
going up and down. Pepito then says "this is going too
slow." So the Dad starts going faster and faster. The
Mother could not keep it in anymore and she started
moaning. Then when the Dad was going faster, and the
Mother was screaming louder (DJ is making moaning and
groaning sounds) Pepito says, Daddy don't stop because
this is the part where the mail man always drops me.

* Caller: I have a Fidel joke. There was a boat full
of people on their way to visit Cuba. When they got
there, Fidel is standing with many soldiers. He tells
everyone, anyone who is here to see me must have my
face tattooed on their chest. A woman thinks, what am
I going to do, I don't have his face on my chest. When
she gets in front of him, she says I don't have your
face tattooed on my chest, but she opens up her pants,
and tells him if you put your hand down there you will
feel the beard. Fidel puts his hand in and starts
feeling around, all of a sudden the woman slaps him.
He asks, why did you do that? The woman responds, I
told you, you could feel around for the beard but I
didn't say you could put your finger in my mouth.

=====
Joe Pappalardo

joepappalardo2001@yahoo.com