RE: WILD Sign-offs??

>Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 22:08:07 -0500
>From: SteveOrdinetz <steveord@bit-net.com>
>Subject: RE: WILD Sign-offs??
>
>Well that sure sounds bush league.  Do they just leave their automation
>running programming 24/7 so no one has to change anything when sign on/off
>times change each month?  How about mornings...does the carrier just come
>on in the middle of a song/spot/whatever?

No, the few times I've heard WILD sign on recently, there is a blank carrier
for a short time, and then programming begins (I guess) when it's supposed
to. I haven't heard much of any formal sign-on, they run the syndicated Tom
Joyner show in morning drive.

>Does their programming still originate locally or are they running a
>satellite format now?

The rest of their programming after AM drive is locally produced. It sounds
live, though I guess there could be some voicetracking and/or automation.

I sometimes don't hear much announcing in that last half-hour of the
afternoon when they're in mono low-power, maybe they go to automation then
and just let the transmitter dump it off the air at 4:45, but if so, the
automation apparently stops at some point during the night.

>I remember in the early 70s them using something they referred to as the
>"Black National Anthem" at sign off.  Some stations used to be quite
>creative with sign-off formats...now you're lucky if they even ID!

I remember that, now that you brought it up. The old WCAS used to do some
fun sign-off bits back in the 70's as well.

Eli Polonsky

http://mail2web.com/ .