Re: McDonough to remain Sox voice

Dan Billings writes:
> I was interested to see that the Sox would have likely
> turned to Gary Thorne if McDonough went to the Mets.
> Thorne is the most famous graduate of the University
> of Maine School of Law.  He had done University of
> Maine games and was practicing law in Bangor when a
> friend of his bought a AAA team and moved it to Maine
> in the 1980s.  Thorne was the radio voice of the Maine
> Guides for one year before getting a job with the Mets
> and he has made a good career broadcasting hockey and
> baseball in New York and on ESPN.  It certainly beats
> practicing law.

Probably making more money, too!

The reports in the New York papers were saying that the Mets were fed up
with Thorne's conflicts (he misses the first 2 months of the season for the
Stanley Cup playoffs) and were going to cut him loose. Personally, he seems
to be a much better hockey announcer.

McDonough definitely won't be hurting for cash though he's losing about
$200k from having his workload cut back from 70 to 30 games. I am sure he
can make that up by working a few more games for ESPN, though (and hopefully
he will do this).